Brushless motors have many advantages over their stepper motor relatives.
- 5x service life as there are no brushes to service/replace
- Reduced mechanical and electrical noise; great for film making of course.
- Much smoother operation at very low speeds (not limited by commutation of brushes) so fantastic for AC's working in very fine focal ranges
- Increased power/weight density so great for keeping weight down whilst still possessing the power to turn the heaviest glass.
- Increased efficiency keeping your power usage down leading to longer system up-time
- Better heat dissipation (winding heat-sink into casing). Basically a longer life span